July 02, 2009

"I did not bow down to you, I bowed down to all the suffering of humanity."

The title is just so you know that I'm not posting here because Kailey said to. I'm doing it for the good of humanity. Or maybe that was Raskolnikov. Oops. Sorry, re-reading a bit of Crime and Punishment to go along with my Dostoevsky theme. Finally started reading The Idiot too, so I am actually on a break from our group reading list.

That being said, I'm not opposed to doing a common book. I'm happy to yield the choice to Grace, but I'm not sure why I'm not allowed to read ahead. Reading ahead is the only way I ever actually finish the book. Like I'd ever have gotten through Madame Bovary if I wasn't competing with someone to finish it first. (That and being stuck in a hospital waiting room, but not the point.)

All told though, I'm not sure I'm going to have a heck of a lot of time to read much of anything for a little while. I've got a full time gig landscaping for my family, and it really has made it so that I can't get through more than a few pages before I crash and fall asleep. Though maybe I'll get some more reading done once I get to vacationing on the coast of Massachusetts in the coming weeks. Maybe grab a book, and read on the beach? We shall see.

Grace - I totally should have known your top two without asking. The number of books by each of them that we had in the common room in the last month or so of the semester was a bit of a hint. I've nailed down 3 so far, in Dostoevsky, Hemingway, and Saul Bellow (in order), but I really don't have strong enough feelings for other authors to include them in my top ten. Suppose that just means I need to read more books. Alas.

No comments:

Post a Comment