August 11, 2009

Ok, let's chat...

I cannot count the number of times I have been reading this book and thought to myself (or out loud) “wow, this guy’s a psycho!” Most of the time I would realize how stupid this sounded, considering the title, and promptly looked around o make sure no one heard me.


For the first fifty pages or so I just marveled at how a character can be so self-obsessed and self critical at the same time. The majority of Bateman’s time is spent evaluating everyone’s clothing, looking to score and scoping out his next lay (by the way, the term “hardbodies” confused me for awhile. At first I thought it referred to hot waitresses, then shortly realized they’re just hot women in general). Knowing the general route the story takes from the movie, I found myself waiting for something violent and nasty to happen. This probably isn’t the best way to go since it made everything up to the first hint of action rather boring (though if I remember correctly, the first bit of action in sex not murder…and really bad sex at that, and that’s where we leave off).


So up until now nothing has really happened worth talking about. Ellis is just building up the character: his obsessive compulsiveness, and ultimate chauvinism. Bateman is the perfect example of a chauvinist based on this definition “Prejudiced belief in the superiority of one's own gender, group, or kind.” Not only does he see women only as objects of a man’s pleasure, but he sees himself and his colleagues, all upper-class businessmen and other investment bankers, as far superior to all other “normal” folk, and his hatred of the homeless is all too evident. I’m actually going to go research Ellis. With most novels, the separation of author and any fictional character is very clear, but for some reason while reading this I can’t help wondering if perhaps Ellis is a bit sexist? Or maybe a bit prejudice against the lower class? Anyway, I’ll look it up and get back to you.


Alrighty, what are reading to next? Personally, I think we should just set a date to finish it and then chat again. I’m having trouble holding back, I’m at 160. For those of you who haven’t gone beyond 105 yet, this shit is NUTS!

No comments:

Post a Comment